Restorative Practice Staff Developer-Coordinator
Organization: DREAM! (Dare to Revitalize Education thru Arts & Mediation)
Country: United States
Location: Bronx, New York
Position Level: Restorative Practice Staff Developer-Coordinator
Education: College graduate in any field, experience working in public education and as a Restorative Practice Trainer
Position Type: Part-Time / Permanent for 10 or 20 hours per week
Salary Range: TBD
Application Deadline: 1/20/18
Description: Dare to Revitalize Education thru Arts & Mediation, DREAM!, dares to revitalize education thru media arts, mediation and restorative practice. We arm young people with practical skills to dismantle the school to prison pipeline, support student engagement with learning and academic success, and encourage the creative confidence of young leaders.
DREAM! helps students and teachers grow their schools into communities where people value diversity, live and work together with respect, and have skills to resolve conflict without violence.
Our Staff Developer-Coordinators are assigned one or two schools where they are charged to involve all stakeholders – principal, teachers, school safety team, dean, parents and students – in developing a plan for implementation of restorative practice (RP) in school year 2017-18. They will help form a staff restorative practice committee and train teachers in advisory and classroom use of restorative practice. They will also train young people to become mediators and school leaders. Additionally, they will aid with the development of a restorative discipline plan with the Dean and other school leaders.
Responsibilities: In collaboration with DREAM! leadership, the Staff Developer- Coordinator will;
Attend monthly PLC (Professional Learning Community) meetings to share around best practices,
Attend 25 hours of DREAM!s Tier 1&2 restorative training
Work with different school community sectors to assess their priority needs in order to establish an RP plan of action
Work at the school for 10 full days or 20 half days, meeting with stakeholders, organizing initiatives, coaching staff, facilitating professional development, etc.
Assist the DREAM! Evaluator in collecting documentation
Meet with DREAM!s Program Manager for weekly check-ins around schools progress, needs and challenges.
1) A commitment to the values, personal practice, and community building of Restorative Practice including:
- Working “with” rather than doing “for” or “to” others, especially young people;
- Democratic or fair process decision making;
- The importance of communication and respect for the other person when things go wrong;
- Taking personal responsibility for the impact of ones actions on others;
2) Experience, training and leadership within the Restorative Practice field, seasoned with youth development and experience in training adults;
3) A problem solving approach to ones work and life’s challenges;
4) Ability to assess a very dynamic situation and determine what people need to know in order to support additional integration of Restorative Practice, and what will be the most effective format for developing that understanding;
5) Ability to collaborate in a project with other people who have very different values, life experience, and perspectives;
6) Give a minimum commitment thru June 2018.
Application Instructions: E-mail to Atuione@dare2dreambx.org:
- a resume,
- cover letter explaining your interest in the position, &
- contact info for 3 references.
Please apply by 1/20/2018. Position will remain open until filled.
Intended start date: January 2018. Please note that due to the volume of applicants, we can only respond to those applicants we are interested in possibly hiring.