Restorative Practice Peer Mediation Trainer-Coordinator
Organization: DREAM! (Dare to Revitalize Education thru Arts & Mediation)
Country: United States
Location: Bronx, New York
Position Level: Restorative Practice Peer Mediation Trainer-Coordinator
Education: College graduate in any field and experience as a Restorative Practice Trainer (experience working in public education, a plus);
Position Type: Part-Time / Permanent for 10-15 hours per week
Salary Range: TBD
Application Deadline: 1/20/18
Description: Dare to Revitalize Education thru Arts & Mediation, DREAM!, dares to revitalize education thru media arts, mediation and restorative practice. We arm young people with practical skills to dismantle the school to prison pipeline, support student engagement with learning and academic success, and encourage the creative confidence of young leaders.
Trainings with DREAM! help students and teachers grow their schools into communities where people value diversity, live and work together with respect, and have skills to resolve conflict without violence.
Our Peer Mediation Trainer-Coordinators are assigned one to four schools where they are charged to train young people to become mediators and school leaders, in addition to coordinating and running a student-led Peer Mediation program involving a campaign and weekly club.
Responsibilities: In collaboration with DREAM! leadership, the PM Trainer-Coordinator will be responsible for the following -
• Facilitate 45m-1 hour Teacher session on the benefits & how to use the mediation program
• Collect all mediator "Teacher contracts"
• Facilitate 18-hour Mediator training and 4-hour refresher trainings as needed
• Coordinate staff & student mediation recommendations & be the coordinator for at least 2 mediations each week
• Keep most updated class schedule of mediators in order to schedule them at the appropriate times for mediations
• Be the adult in the room during mediation sessions
• Facilitate mediator self-evaluation directly after mediations
• Maintain file of completed agreements
• Be in communication with the Dean and/or schools’ mediation point person on all mediation updates
• Follow-up with disputants on follow-up date set in mediation sessions to assure agreements are being adhered to
• Facilitate weekly peer mediation lunchtime club for: creation of PM promotion campaign and skill building exercises
• Survey mediators and collect OORS data to track effectiveness of mediation program
1) A commitment to the values, personal practice, and community building of Restorative Practice, including:
- Working “with” rather than doing “for” or “to” others, especially young people;
- Democratic or fair process decision making;
- The importance of communication and respect for the other person when things go wrong;
- Taking personal responsibility for the impact of ones actions on others;
2) Experience training and leadership within the Peer Mediation and Restorative Practice fields;
3) A problem solving approach to ones work and life’s challenges;
4) Ability to assess dynamic conflicts and determine underlying issues in order to work towards win/win agreements;
5) Ability to collaborate in a project with other people who have very different values, life experience, and perspectives;
6) Give a minimum commitment thru June 2018.
E-mail to Atuione@dare2dreambx.org:
- a resume,
- cover letter explaining your interest in the position, &
- contact info for 3 references.
Please apply by 1/20/2018. Position will remain open until filled.
Intended start date: January 2017. Please note that due to the volume of applicants, we can only respond to those applicants we are interested in possibly hiring.